“I love both The Monti and The Monti StorySLAM. When I want a guarantee of finely crafted narratives, I go to The Monti; when I want great stories that are raw and unexpected, I go to the SLAMs. They’re perfect complements!” Lori Hensley, 2009 Hippo Award Winner
We produce two different types of shows: The Monti and The Monti StorySLAM.
The Monti is our original and signature format. It debuted in Chapel Hill on April 22, 2008 to a SOLD OUT crowd in a private room upstairs at Spice Street. Typically, there are five storytellers for every show, and tellers are invited in advance to tell stories.
There are four requirements that all stories must follow:
All stories are true.
All stories are told without the use of notes.
All stories adhere to the twelve minute time limit.
All stories must revolve around a predetermined theme.
If you have a story to tell at The Monti, there is a way to make that happen but it is not guaranteed. You would need to contact Jeff Polish, the Director of The Monti and curator of each show. Jeff will likely ask to meet you to discuss your story; if he thinks it is Monti-material, he will schedule you for an event. The best way to contact Jeff is to email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Monti StorySLAM
The Monti StorySLAM is a more recent format that debuted in Durham, NC on March 12, 2009 at Alivia’s Durham Bistro. Unlike The Monti, anyone with a story to tell has a chance to tell a one at The Monti StorySLAM. Also, this is a competitive event, so there will be judges in the audience. At each event, there will be eight storytellers chosen at random; each story is five minutes long; one winner will be declared at the end of the night. Here’s how you can tell your story:
- We publicize a theme (eg. Crushes.)
- You think, “Hey, I have a story that goes with that theme!”
- You buy a ticket.
- You practice your five-minute story at home and in your car.
- You show up and fill out a form stating that you would like to tell a story (NOTE: You DO NOT have to tell a story to attend. You can just sit back and enjoy the show.)
- During the show, Jeff Polish will pick names from a hat at random, one at a time, and each person called will have five minutes to tell their story.
- After eight stories have been told, one winner will be declared!
Winners from each StorySLAM will qualify for The Monti GrandSLAM which occurs once eight winners have been determined. The GrandSLAM brings the winners back to compete for the ultimate title of The Monti GrandSLAMpion!